Two blast furnace were built at the Möhkö ironworks, the first one at the end of the 1840´s and the second at the beginning of the 1850´s. The poorly built blast furnaces were dismantled in 1856, however.

In the same years Nils Ludvig Arppe had a better blast furnace built. The height of the blast furnace was 12,4 meters and it was surrounded by a protection building made of boards. The protection building was 34 meters long and 17 meters wide and high. The lower part of the blast furnace shaped like a cut pyramid was made of syenite and the round chimney was made of bricks.

The blast furnace building with its machine rooms burnt down in three hours in April 1861. The fire also damaged the blowing equipment and hot pieces of iron and stone flew all the way till the roof of Pytinki. The blast furnace itself was not damaged. The blast furnace was dismounted when the ironworks activities ended 1908. Only some parts of the blast furnace bottom, foundation stones and technical constructions below the ground such as blow air ducts have remained. Also on the proximity of the blast furnace there are relics of different structures and equipment, sucs as the basement of steam engine chimney. The blast furnace ruins were examined in archeological excavations in 2004-2006. The ruins were covered with a shelter finished in 2006.

The new blast furnace was made in 1871. In Möhkö blast furnaces were called by a name originating from Russian, tomina. The lower part shaped like a cut pyramid was made of syenite blocks and the round chimney of bricks. The stony foundation was 4,7 metrs high, the total height of the blast furnace being 12,4 meters. The blast furnace had two blowing openings and two discharge openings. The melted pig iron was led out to the moulds through the lower opening and the slag was removed through the upper opening on the opposide side.

The blast furnace was surrounded by a wooden building covered with asphalt felt. The wheel room protecting the blowing machine, the warm air equipment and the water wheel was made of bricks. Raw material were taken up to the charging platform along a sloping horse bridge.

The blast furnace was dismounted when the ironworks activities ended 1908. Only some parts of the blast furnace bottom, foundation stones and technical constructions below the ground such as blow air ducts have remained.

Ubinet Hakukoneoptimointi